Bethinks

Jul 13, 2009

Here I go...

We are moving to Nashville sometime next year.

I'm so luckily married to a boy who whole-heartedly believes that success will come once you're good enough. That if you work at your craft, constantly learning and improving, eventually people will be drawn to you instead of always searching for anyone that gives a damn. That thought process can either discourage or inspire. I'm embracing it. I've been really out of touch with people lately because I'm trying to put all my energy into preparing for Nashville. It's a city where people go when they figure out they're too good to chase their dreams in a small town. I don't know if that applies to me yet, but I feel like I need to be around other people that want the same things I do. A little healthy competition, a little camaraderie, other artists that understand this sometimes helpless feeling.

I know I have to be ready, because once we move, my chances will be better to run into someone who can do something with my little ditties. I have to be at the top of my game with my singing, my writing, my look, everything.

After we work a full day at the office, I've been coming home and studying songwriting books, listening to mentoring sessions, getting to know who the writers are in Nashtown, and actually attempting to craft better songs than I've ever written. Catchier hooklines, better melodies, clearer lyrics. Staying up until midnight lost in my thoughts and big dreams. I'm determined to be really proud of the tunes I pack with me when we move on down the road. I think people will actually like me, as a singer, better with these new demos. Even though I've been writing them with the intent of getting them published for other artists to record. I just think they're better songs overall, which makes me a stronger artist.

I'm scared. I'm excited. I get misty every time I think about it. Is it possible to cry a blend of frightened and happy tears?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home